Thursday, June 18, 2020

Taz Lov2 for Top Rope Soloing - A Review


The holy grail of TRS devices would be a device that allows me to freely climb with no slack build-up; be able to quickly lock-up when needed; and be able to rap whenever I desire without having to switch devices. Well that device is now here - it’s the TAZ Lov2. It’s not perfect in all these functions but good enough for me that it’s “the answer” for most situations. With the Lov2 the "sum" is greater than the "parts" (individual functions) and yields a device without peers.

I’m well into my second season of using the Lov2 and am quite happy with it’s performance in most situations. I’ll summarize my experience up front and then get more into the details. The Lov2 is the only all-in-one-dedicated-device that ticks all the boxes for TRSing for me. There are other devices that outperform it in a specific function. However there is no other device that combines all the TRS functions into one device and performs at the level of the Lov2 without having to switch devices for rapping.  

I think an apt analogy is that it can be considered the Silent Partner of the TRS world. It's high quality and bomber construction inspires confidence. What's the "price" one has to pay for this?! It's big, heavy, and expensive - though none of these prohibitively so.  It is specifically  designed and tested for doing all the functions required for TRS (ascending, fall arresting, and descending) and does all of these functions at a fairly high level. None of the other devices that I know of meet all these criteria. I’ve used the Revo, various GGs, and the Eddy hoping that they (either in stock or modified form) might be the all-in-one-device of my dreams - but they all have major downsides. I dare say, I'm going out on a limb here, that even as the Silent Partner has developed a cult following in the LRS world, the Lov2 could have the same potential in the TRS world. However, just like the SP, it probably won't happen till it’s no longer available and people are scrambling to try and get one. The caveat here is the remote possibility that a newer device is designed and marketed that will outperform it - however I wouldn’t hold my breath.

PROS: Does it all (feeds well/locks-up relatively quick/decent rapping); great for doing laps; repeatedly working a section of a route; hanging top-outs; down-climbing; high quality/bomb proof construction that inspires confidence

CONS: Weight; size; price, rapping takes a bit of practice to master

So, that’s the summary of my experience…but the devil is in the details. Read on for all the salacious details of how I set it up; when I would and wouldn't use it; and some tricks I've learned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following information is provided based on my experience which is continually evolving. This is not a "how-to" manual. If you use or rely on any of this info, you do so at your own risk. I encourage you to test and retest before committing to a course of action. You may find better set-ups for your own situation (route/rope/experience/degree of risk tolerance). Please let me know of your experiences and share on social media.

The Lov2 is not designed as a TRS device per se but more as a work and recreational device in the rope access and arborist's worlds - which is probably why most climbers have not heard of it. However, it IS designed and tested to fulfill all the three main functions required for TRSing - ascending, fall arresting, and descending. As I discuss it’s various characteristics and function, I’ll try to do so in relation to some of the other major devices on the market that I've used.

Specs: dynamic ropes: 9.5-11 Static 10-11 (see comparison chart at the end below)
Construction: stainless steel (all rope wear and structural parts), heavy duty aluminum side pates, and plastic handle and rope tension cleat
type of device: Straight through rope path with a tension cleat and pivoting rope pinch lever/arm

 

 

Setup
Review is based on using a 9.5 Black Diamond rope moderately worn and slightly fuzzy. 130 lb. climber

The Lov2 works best when held in a vertical position as per user guide. It should be connected to the belay loop with an auto- locking pear or oval 'biner. While the Lov2 could be used without a neck strap/chest harness, it would hang too low  on the belay loop and then travel up to the top and through a ~90 deg. pivot when locking up. By using a sling/neck strap/or chest harness it can be held in a vertical position just above my navel which reduces the amount of travel when locking up. The device will still pivot upwards during a fall, but is still low enough to keep it away from my face and neck.

The Lov2 and 'biner can be held vertically by a small 2mm dia. piece of cord threaded through the cover plate and clipped to a neck strap/over the should sling or chest harness. I've tried other cord loop and arrangements for holding the device and 'biner up but saw no advantages. By using this small cord loop permanently attached, I never have to worry about loosing it and it's super easy to clip and unclip.

There are a lot of options to hold the Lov2 vertically: anything from a breakable or elastic neck cord, crossed slings, a double twisted sling, Petzl Torse, or full chest harness. I prefer the Torse because it’s fairly minimal, the length is quickly and easily adjustable, and it places the minimal weight felt on the tops of your shoulders. It does not go around your neck even though it may look like it in the photos. It also doesn't constrict one's chest like some set-ups and is never too loose because of it's adjustability.
  
Another option for holding the Lov2 and 'biner up is to use this method for improvising a minimalist harness with a sling that won't get pulled up around one's neck. https://www.instagram.com/p/B92bbBPpqPl/

I also use (though not always) a Petzl Tanga rubber "keeper" cut in half to keep the Lov2 centered on the 'biner. Also, I sometimes use a 6mm cord loop girth hitched around the 'biner and harness waist belt keeper loop. This keeps the Lov2/'biner combo held at the top of the belay loop and keeps it from moving around when climbing, bending over, leaning down, etc.

Feed: This is usually the prime concern for people who TRS. We all want something that will feeds more or less without friction and without having to attend to it - to get as close as possible to the "free-solo" feeling. This is where the Grigri and Eddy fail as they need constant attention until well up the route and even then I can feel the friction of the feed. The best in class are the Gremlin and Microtrax. Not too far behind those is the Lov2. I use 9.5 dynamic ropes which is the smallest diameter within the specs and allows it to flow freely. With the 9.5 ropes I can get by with with minimal amount of weight attached to the bottom of the rope. usually on clove hitch a shoe or two.

Lock-up:  It’s certainly not the quickest in locking up when weighting the rope or "falling", though it’s not bad either - usually a max of around 4"-10” because the Lov2 needs to pivot up to cause the lever /arm to pinch the rope. I would say it’s on the order of the Rescucender, Roll’nLock and Goblin in it's ability to lock. The best in class is the Microtraxion of course but that’s because of it’s small size and aggressive teeth. However thus far, I’ve never had an issue with the Lov2 locking and after getting use to it’s operation, it inspires confidence. 

Rapping: Again, not the best in class (Grigri) but it isn’t bad. It DOES take a bit of getting use to because the “sweet spot” in the handle movement is smaller than the Grigri. However, it doesn't have the annoying anti-panic feature like the Grigri+ and Eddy. I find those to be a PITA and of dubious value for someone experienced with the device. At the top of a route with 100’ of rope weight below me, it takes significant pressure on the handle to initiate the rapping process. The pressure on the handle lessens the further down the route I rap. Fortunately the handle is fairly large which helps in the initiation and control. Unfortunately the ergonomics of the handle leaves something to be desired. For me it puts my hand and wrist in an uncomfortable position. I would love to see that tweaked in a future version. There’s a couple of techniques that I've used that can be helpful and increase the safety while learning to rap with the Lov2. I’ll cover those a bit further down.

Note: as stated on the TAZ website and video instructions - when using the Lov2 for rappelling, one hand should always be on the handle and one hand below the device on the rope to provide extra friction.  NO EXCEPTIONS! (some of the photos below don't show both hands because they are posed and my one hand is holding the camera or remote control).

Down climbing: With the setup and rope I use, I'm able to down climb when I want or need to. If it has locked up (I've sat on the rope or "fallen") it may take unweighting it and moving it slightly with my hand or to first make a slight upward movement and then slowly down-climb. This may not be possible with a large diameter rope. I've not tested that.

Back-up: Having a back-up for all soloing devices is highly recommended. I have used two methods:
   
1) A fall rated maillon/quick link attached to the belay loop underneath the Lov2 can be used with back-up knots. As I climb I add back-up slip knots occasionally below the million/quick link. If a fall should result and the Lov2 fails for some reason, the knot will jam against the quick link and save my bacon. It’s simple, cheap, and doesn't cause additional friction and is a surefire way to add back-up protection. However there are two main disadvantages. First, is that I have to interrupt my upward progress and find a no-stress stance to tie the back-up knot. Secondly when descending I need to stop and untie each knot. This seems to me to to defeat one of the main purposes for having the Lov2 in the first place: seamless uninterrupted climbing flow. The next method solves that and I virtually never use this method any more. However if I'm going to be working a crux section of climb I use this method. It's super easy to hang before the crux, tie a knot and then proceed to climb and lower as many times as necessary.


2) A Roll’nLock can be connected below the Lov2 on the belay loop. The RnL flows extremely well up the rope as I climb and I really don’t notice any more friction than without it. Should the Lov2 fail, the RnL will lock. The great advantage of the RnL is that at the top of the route it’s easy to lock open so that it slides freely down the rope as I rap. These two devices together provide the smoothest and safest TRSing experience that I know of.  A Microtrax also works as a backup, however I've found that the lock-out mechanism often slips while rapping and unexpectedly locks on the rop and interrupts the decent. This is extremely annoying . I'll never use the Microtrax as a backup for any of my setups.

Note: Since I originally wrote this, there have been some potential issues found by users when using the RollnLock below another device. Until I can do extensive testing, I've switched back to the MicroTrax with the mods listed here: Microtrax use and mods




Update note: even though I show various possible methods below to add friction to the descent, in the long run I feel that it's best to learn how to use the Lov2 the way it is intended: one hand on the handle and the other hand grabbing the rope below and supplying friction. With practice, it's the easiest and best.

1) Several rope wraps and can be put around a leg to add more friction though it might twist the rope. I've only done this a couple times and don't remember if it twisted the rope or not but it's a good simple trick to remember.



2)  If I use a million/quick link and knots for back up, the rope can be left through the quick link and the lower brake hand can pull out and down to add a bit more friction.  


3)  The rope can be rethreaded back through the 'biner that is used to attache the Lov2. This has to be done on the side where the gate is. A more elegant solution would be to use a Petzl Freino ‘biner ($$) that allows the rope to be quickly inserted and doubled back on itself to add friction. If either of these methods are used long term, it could cause the rope wear the aluminum side plate of the Lov2 because it travels a slightly diagonal path. 



4)  An oval 'biner can be clipped beneath the Lov2 on the belay loop and a bight of rope pushed through a small maillon/quick link as shown. This will also add friction to the system and help add control.  


5)  The lower brake hand can squeeze the rope back against the device pinching it and causing it to bend at a more acute angle and increase the friction. The hand is used to modulate the decent in conjunction with the brake handle. This method is probably best for short descents and/or reworking a section of the route. (Brake lever not shown in action here and I would normally use my right hand for the squeezing function and left hand on the brake handle. However, for clarity I show it here with my left hand). Note: if using this method to rap very far, a leather glove would be necessary! 







Replaceable parts: the plastic tension cleat that helps provide a slight amount of friction on the rope so that the Lov2 pivots and locks-up, will wear over time However it's replaceable and the TAZ website has instructions for how do that. 

When do I NOT use the Lov2?
  • On a route where the crux is low on the route (first 15’) and the route is over 50' I don't use the Lov2 because of rope stretch (I use dynamics ropes) and fear of hitting the ground. I also wouldn't use this set-up if I'm climbing friction slab of 60 deg. or less. In both of these situations you want immediate lock up and minimal rope stretch. For these situations, I use a Microtrax and a Spoc (or two of either) on parallel rope strands with both devices mounted together on a wide pear ‘biner. I tie and weight the two strands together. This provides smooth feed and immediate lock up with the least amount of rope stretch whether using a static or dynamic rope. 



  • I also would not use the Lov2:  if I wanted the very best climbing experience (the most like free soloing); AND if I have a no-hands top-out (seldom) where I can easily switch devices for rapping; AND if I'm not concerned about getting back down quickly to do another lap working on endurance. In that situation, I use a Camp Goblin (or Kong Backup) on top with a Roll’nLock or Microtrax underneath as a back-up. It is the freest running set-up  with the quickest possible lock-up  IMO.

For a similar set-up using the Trango Vergo see my blog post: Cheap Love?! The Vergo vs Lov2 for TRS








28 comments:

  1. Hi, just wanted to thank you so much for taking the time to write this fantastically informative post.

    I've been 'stuck' on a virtually empty Kalymnos since the start of the pandemic and have been 'socially distancing' with the Petzl Shunt I brought with me. I know this isn't recommended by the manufacturer but it's pretty standard back home in the UK.

    I've started to really enjoy TRS and am psyched to try out this system when I get home.

    Thanks again and happy climbing, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice post. if you ever want to climb in Skaha in the interior of British Columbia send me a message. I love TR soloing. I tried lead soloing with the silent partner two separate times and sold them both times. too bad I did not wait since they went up in price to $800. I prefer TR soloing anyway. I will go look for the LOV2 I like the idea of a quick rappel instead of unhooking the entire setup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience with the Silent Partner was similar. I used for a period time but never really "clicked" with it. Bought at $150, sold at $250 but wish I'd kept it till now! :-)

      Thanks for the offer re Skaha. I've climbed in Squamish but not Skaha. Probably isn't in the cards in the near future given the Covid situation.

      Delete
  3. Hello there
    Thanks for sharing your climbing experience with this excellent information. Your post has given me the confidence to finally start trying out TRS. Can I confirm that the reason you don’t use the Taz on slabs less than 60 degrees is because a “fall” would not be abrupt enough to lock the device? Also are you aware of any arrest devices that would work in a head first fall scenario? I’m guessing (due to lack of experience) when LRS?
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re using on slabs I'm referring to low angle pure friction slabs. There are two issue. First. The MT locks up faster and more positively than any other device so having two of those and on a dynamic rope means that they be a minimum amount of "fall" (sag on the rope) and skin lost. Secondly, there is a remote possibility that when loosing footing on a friction slab, one would fall towards the slab and into the rope which could prevent it from locking up. I've simulated this at home. It has never happened to me so it's hypothetical at this point. The Lov2, Vergo and other "straight through feed" lever type devices rely on a straight downward or outward fall. Not sure re headfirst fall. Probably there is a chance that it would not catch (why it's good to have a backup)

      Delete
  4. Hi-thanks for this great post. I TR solo frequently, and based on your words I've bought a Taz Lov2 to experiment with. It seems to work quite well so far. I do have some questions about ropes. First, you state the Lov2 range as 9.5 to 11, but my device is marked 10-11. How do you feel about using a rope slightly outside the range, like a 9.5? Second, so far I've used a static rope. How do you feel about static ropes for TR soloing? Of course, they are stiffer, harder to knot, and so on, but do you think they feed more slowly compared to dynamic ropes? To summarize, I'm thinking about using this device with a 9.5 dynamic rope (as you did) and I'd like some insight/thoughts. OK, thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the Lov2 original came out, the first batches of it didn't have the updated specs printed on the body of it. Later after more testing they decided to update the specs. There are two sets of specs on mine. My understanding it that one set is for static ropes and the other for dynamic ropes. I suspect since it's not a fast selling item that there could still be some of those floating around and being sold. If you click on the the side view photo above and zoom in on it you should be able to see the updated specs. I don't have any experience with the Lov2 and static ropes. I have a 9.5 static but I cut it into shorter sections to use for anchors. I think I remember a discussion somewhere, where they said that with static ropes the specs are 10-11 ropes. The 9.5 specs are for dynamic. I might be wrong on that recollection, though. I think if they feed more slowly, it would be because of size not because it's static. Static ropes are usually stiffer and on "straight through" type devices they tend to feed just as well (or maybe even better). However the size of the rope and how much friction there is in the channel can make a difference.

      Delete
  5. As you have searched for the “ultimate “ TRSolo device, I have searched for the ultimate topple solo article. Yours is it. !!!! Thank you for all your years of experience to write it. I am 71 years old and Climb like an animal, ha ha. I TR soloed 200 pitches last year. I love it. I started 5 1/2 years ago, got into toprop solo all the way three years ago and as of late I very much prefer it to climbing with people, maybe because I enjoy being alone with my thoughts and music. It’s hard to describe in words the joy I get from soloing. My system was two micro tractions and I wasn’t crazy about the teeth on the top device , so now I use a Rescuesender on top I use a 10 MM low stretch Mammut , flows like oil through the device. I do not do laps so I feel I do not need a device that I can rap on, I have to un hitch and take a short nap, you know how it is��.Here is a question, now that you do not Lead solo to get to the anchors I assume most of the routes you climb you can hike up to the top and set your anchors and rap down. Also when I am alone I have my phone for music but also to call for help, I also have a very loud referees whistle plus a satellite rescue beacon for the last resort rescue, hope I never have to use it. Well that’s about it, thanks again, climb safe ,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jay - good to hear that you're TRSing at '71. I'll be there in a year!

      I use to use a set-up similar to yours and still do on occasion. The areas where I climb locally are mostly accessible by trail yo build an anchor. A few require hiking then rapping in to build the anchor. Occasionaly I've stick-clipped my way up a sport route to get to the bolts to set the TR but that's rare.

      Climb on! "We don't stop climbing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop climbing"

      Delete
  6. Shouldn't the Lov2 be the backup device (certified for it) and the Microtrax the main device? Afaik the Microtrax (and I guess also the Roll’nLock) is not certified for taking a fall ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) I mainly stopped using the MT because of unwanted lock-ups and unlocking. The first is annoying, the second could be dangerous. That's why I switched to the Roll'nLock as a back-up - much more positive in the locking and unlocking.
      2) I much rather have my main device as the one without teeth vs. the one with teeth. R'nL is only there in case the Lov2 doesn't catch (always has so far) and in a catastrophic failure of the Lov2, I want teeth digging in to stop me. In TRS situations, it's not going to shred the rope as a backup.
      3) It's much easier to unlock the toothed device when it's unweighted below the Lov2 as a back-up device then as the primary device: Hang; unlock R'nL; and rap.
      4) Both the MT and R'nl are rated beyond forces that would be experienced in TRS situation. If there is massive amounts of slack building up which could result in something similar to a lead fall, then something is wrong. The climber should always be monitoring the slack. That is always under the climber's control.

      Delete
  7. If you are seeking a hands free device that runs up and down the rope without the need to manually tend it, the Petzl 'ASAP' is fit for that purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In relation to previous post, you can use an ISC 'Rocker' in conjunction with the Petzl ASAP. The 'Rocker' is positioned underneath the ASAP. The ASAP has a shock absorber lanyard which provides additional length and clearance for it to be positioned above the 'Rocker'.
    The Rocker typically freely runs up/down and rope and it is directly attached to your harness with a triple-action locking carabiner with hinged captive pin (eg Rock exotica 'Pirate'). The rocker pushes the ASAP up as you climb.
    You should not use toothed devices to arrest a fall (Exception: ASAP is specially designed to arrest a fall).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, I see no advantage to using that setup for my purposes - hassle/friction free ascent and immediate descent without having to add or take off devices. The Lov2 is designed and made to be a combo rope grab/fall-arrester/descender, and the Roll'nLock is super positive as a back-up and is rated beyond what a TR fall should ever encounter. It's also easy to switch it to the passive mode for rapping. I use this set-up for running laps at the crag similar to an auto-belay in the gym. I don't doubt that your system works and is safe. Just not my cuppa tea having to hassle with adding and/or removing devices to rap - especially on shorter crags. I've spent the last 10 years searching for the best TR set-up and, for me, I've found it. Also, I don't care for how the ASAP rides up near one's face when weighted. The only advantage that I can see with your set-up is if one wants to downclimb. It would make that fairly easy and protected. YMMV.

      Delete
  9. Brilliant post SICgrips mate. I've been using the Luv 2 for about 6 months now and so far I agree wholeheartedly with you regarding the Luv 2 being the best all in one top rope soloing gadget out there. Taz released the Luv3 Feb 2021 if i read correctly. As far as i can tell the only difference is the Luv3 can be loaded and unloaded on/off the rope without the need to remove the Luv3 from either your carabiner or belay loop. Not worth upgrading in my opinion but anyone in the market since the new one came out i would obviously go for the Luv3.
    I've modded mine by removing the the black plastic spring loaded tension cleat and rivet that attached it (Do so at your own risk I take no responsibility for anyone doing the same) It runs even smoother now when ascending. I use an 11mm edelrid semi static rope. Stay safe everyone and remember onwards and upwards and downwards safely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting about removing the tensioning cleat. With an 11mm rope I can seethe reason for removing it. However, I use 9.4 - 9.6 dynamic ropes and it runs super smooth with the cleat. I think with the smaller rope diameters it's needed to put a slight bit of tension on the rope to help it initiate the pivot and lock-up. With the 11mm I can see how there would be enough friction without it, though as you say...do at your own risk! Personally I've never tried it with fat ropes so this is only my hypothesis.

      Delete
    2. *VERY IMPORTANT*
      To anyone who has read about my mod regarding removing the black plastic tension cleat on the Taz Luv 2 DO NOT! I REPEAT DO NOT! ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE IT. I was at my local crags today conducting various tests and experiments from 5 or so foot off the ground due to a to a worrying little niggle yesterday which turned out to be a big worrying niggle today. Removing the black plastic tension cleat is extremely dangerous DO NOT DO IT!
      What seemed like a good idea a few weeks back incidentally ive never had cause for concern until yesterday. I came off a route a couple of times and instead of grabbing the rope almost immediately it seemed it took a couple of foot before grabbing which has never happened before. I was only 8 or 9 foot off the ground luckily. I decided to deliberately come off the rock face a few times deliberately to see what was going on. What I found to my horror instead of the tension cleat gripping the rope and initiating the rotation and therefore grabbing the rope when weighted, because there was no tension cleat the Taz just wanted to follow gravity and slide down the rope because there was no tension cleat to keep it snug on the rope. As soon as I came off the Taz just wanted to slide down and not rotate to lock. To say my arse went is an understatement. It turned out my new chest harness I used for the first time yesterday with the Taz was partly to blame. It did a fantastic job perfect actually of keeping the Taz upright when ascending it's absolutely smooth as silk climbing upward but as soon as you come off it does such a good job of keeping your Taz upright it has the opposite effect by letting the Taz run freely through rope in a fall scenario. It wouldn't of happened if the Tension cleat was still there. SICgrips you was spot on when you said the tension cleat is there to stay snug on the rope and initiate rotation thereby causing the Luv2 to grab the rope in a fall. Final thoughts are when used to the manufacturers recommendations with no mods or anything not recommended the Taz in my opinion is absolutely bomber and definitely the best all in one top rope solo gadget out there. Thank God on this occasion I was able to come back here to let anyone reading my previous posts it's definitely a no no to do what I did. Apologies!

      Delete
  10. Sorry I forgot to say I've used a microtraxion combined with the Luv2 but I'm going to have a butchers at the rollnrock thanks for the heads up. I've also used the Luv2 many times on its own (Once again do so at your own risk i accept no responsibility for anyone doing the same) I know redundancy should always be integrated into any system no matter what method is used. Removing the tensioning cleat and using the Luv2 on it own are entirely my own opinions and not recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You mentioned issues that users found while using the RnL below other devices and that you've switched back to the microtrax. Can you shed a bit more light on some of the issues with using the RnL as a backup device.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people have found that when using a RnL as a secondary device that if the primary device doesn't lock, that the RnL will not lock if it contacts the primary device. If using a MT, that will not happen because the teeth bite and engage the cam.p Personally I've not run into that with the RnL but maybe because the Lov2 has always locked first. It needs more testing but in the meantime, I'm just using the MT as a backup

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an amazing write up, thank you so much. You mentioned issues that users found while using the RnL below other devices and that you've switched back to the microtrax. Can you shed a bit more light on some of the issues with using the RnL as a backup device.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some say that it will not lock if it suns into another device above. I have not had that happen and haven’t been able to duplicate it. Some also say if it gets twisted diagonally it will also not lock. I’ve not found that in my set up because the Lov2 above keeps the rope going straight into the R’nL so it doesn’t twist. However the MT is a sure bet because the teeth cause the cam to engage.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. Singapore rope access

    ReplyDelete
  17. I purchased a Lov3 as primary and MicroTraxion as backup. In testing the rig on a single rope off an anchor in a tree in my yard, I encountered two SNAFUS: 1. sometimes when I weight the system the MT has continued up the rope and hits the Lov3 2) when the MT locks it's tough to unweight in mid-air. Do you have a preferred technique for the latter,and do you have fool proof way to keep the devices separated while in your harness? Perhaps my test tree anchor is too low, about 9 feet off the ground, or perhaps I'm too hesitant when weighting it, I don't know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re Q1, I would use a prusik and footloop, above the Lov to unweight it and the MT. Or just a footlock on the other strand of rope to unweight the devices if your efficient at using that technique.

      Re Q2, if you need to separate the devices because they are colliding, the best way I've found is to use a loop of cord/webbing around harness waist belt and leg loop strap (same as the belay loop) to extend the Lov up slightly. I'd only extend it enough (a couple inches) so it eliminates the possibility of the two devices colliding. Some people will use a small dogbone from a quick draw but I find that to be too long. Care needs to be taken that it isn't raised high enough to bash you in the face when it locks up. If it's an unexpected "fall"/lockup, the upper body compresses slightly while the device is pulled up making a collision between it and your face a possibility.

      Delete
  18. Hi! This site is badass. Somehow it’s in my computer favorites but I only found it organically today. Would you have the energy for a post on Taz for LRS? Thanks, really impressive site…Few.

    ReplyDelete